Do you own a swimming pool? For many Texas residents, it’s a dream come true to have a refreshing oasis right in their backyard during the hot summer months. But pools can use a lot of electricity. And that can impact both the planet and your energy bill. To enjoy your pool while reducing its power usage, follow these energy-saving tips from Texas Energy Providers.
What pool upgrades do Texas energy providers suggest for energy savings?
Upgrading to energy-efficient pool equipment can really help reduce your pool’s monthly energy usage. Here are some options to consider, according to Texas energy providers:
- Direct Energy suggests installing the latest in efficient filtration, pumping and heating technology. This will help minimize how much energy and water is needed to keep your pool in swimmable shape.
- Reliant Energy advises upgrading to a five-star, energy-efficient pool pump.
- Green Mountain Energy suggests upgrading to a variable-speed pump to reduce energy usage. It also recommends switching from traditional pool lighting to energy-efficient LED bulbs. Further, the clean energy company notes that small trees or hedges near your pool can act as a windbreak that helps reduce heat loss and evaporation.
What pool maintenance tips do Texas energy providers suggest for energy savings?
Proper and regular maintenance is needed to keep your pool from overusing electricity. Many Texas energy companies agree that these tips can help optimize your pool’s efficiency.
- Direct Energy reminds pool owners to keep pool filters clean so they can run efficiently. Clogged filters can make the pump work harder, using more energy.
- Using a solar blanket to cover the pool when it’s not being used helps keep it naturally warm. It also helps prevent evaporation and keeps debris out of the pool. The U.S. Department of Energy backs up this tip. It states that covering a pool when it’s not being used can save 50% to 70% on pool heating costs.
What actions do Texas energy providers suggest pool owners take to save energy?
Upgrades and proper maintenance can make a big impact on energy usage. But so can your everyday pool habits. Here are some easy ways to save energy, according to electric companies in Texas.
- Direct Energy advises not to set the pool temperature above 80 degrees.
- Along those lines, Reliant Energy suggests using an automatic timer on your pool pump to control energy usage.
- Green Mountain Energy takes it one step further. It recommends you run your pool pump at night, when electricity demand is the lowest. The company also recommends setting a pump timer for a maximum of eight hours.
- Reliant Energy reminds pool owners to turn off the heater or heat pump when they go on vacation.
- Reliant Energy also recommends using cartridge filters, which are more energy efficient than sand filters. (They allow water to pass through more freely, putting less pressure on the pump.)
Why do Texas electricity providers want to help me make my pool more energy efficient?
It may seem odd for a company to want you to use less of its product. But Texas energy providers would rather have you conserve energy than waste it. For starters, it benefits the planet when we use less electricity. It’s also often more economical for electric companies in Texas to sell a bit less energy than it is to have to buy more energy than they had planned to during peak demand, at high market prices, to meet everybody’s usage needs.
So, there you have it. It’s a win all around to use less energy running your pool this summer!
What are the best electricity rates in Texas for pool owners?
With these energy-saving tips for your swimming pool in hand, all that’s missing is the electricity to power your backyard oasis this summer. To find the Texas energy providers and plans that have the best rates for your family’s usage habits and lifestyle, head to Everything Energy.
Search by ZIP code and filter your results to get recommendations customized to your needs. Start shopping today!